Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Chapter 2

Chapter 2

It was mid-November, the fall chill in the air revealing my breath, when I saw that the stand had been occupied. Not only had the stall been filled, but it had been filled quite well. As I rounded the wall, I could see more of the stall's interior. The space was cleverly utilized with very few shelves. The layout was simple: a large, multi-tier shelf in the middle of the room, covered in fresh fruits, such as oranges, strawberries and melons. To the left was a glass doored drink cooler, stocked with water and health beverages. Further to the left was another smaller multi-tier rack covered in fresh vegetables. The floor was concrete, and walls were stark white, like a clean room in a laboratory. I stepped inside, peering around. "Hello?", I spoke, breaking a repetitive sweeping sound that was filling the room. The sweeping stopped, and a man's voice came from the back of the room.
"Hello! I'll be just a moment.", he said. "Can I help you?"
 The man emerged from the back of the store, carrying the broom. He was a shorter man, late forties, with a graying moustache and thinning hair.
"I was just welcoming you...", I replied. "I'll probably look around for a bit."
"Okay then, take your time, and let me know if you need anything.", he said.
Just as he finished speaking, I heard another person enter the stall. I turned to see the person, and was immediately struck speechless. It was a girl, early twenties, with long brown hair, dark skin, and green eyes. She was the first person I had ever seen who had green eyes. But her eyes aside, she was the most beautiful person I had ever seen.
"Hi, Dad!", she spoke. "What are you up to?"
"Just tidying up before people start pouring in...", he replied. "...find anything you like?"
"A few things.", she said. "A few 20's era cameras, a sword that the shop owner swears belonged to General Grant, and the gem: a late 1800's cash register. Locked."
"That's great sweetheart! Just let me know how much you need."
"Daddy....", she replied. "You know you don't have to do that."
"I know...", he rebutted. "I just like to be able to treat you sometimes."
At about that time, the two turned and noticed that I had been more involved in their conversation than either of them was.
"Who is this?", she asked.
"Just a man I met a few moments before you arrived. I'm not quite sure if he's going to be a customer, of if he's just visiting.", he joked.
I finally regained my ability to speak. "I'm sorry.", I stated. "I didn't mean to pry. I just find the two of you so intriguing together."
He was taken by surprise. "Well, thank you, I guess.", he chuckled.
"It was definitely a compliment.", I started. "I appreciate your understanding, but...I really must be going."
"If you insist.", he replied. "But we didn't catch a name."
"Its Sebastian.", I stated.
"Well, I'm Alex, or Mister Bannister. And this is my daughter---"
"Emily...", she interrupted. "Its...Emily."

No comments:

Post a Comment